.

.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Makenzi's Commitment to Writing

I don’t write every day. I don't stick to a daily schedule like most writers do. I don't sit at my computer creating characters, scenes or plots like most writers do on a daily basis. I do not get up early in the morning or stay up late at night writing. I take breaks, days, weeks and sometimes even months between working on my novels. Yes, my progress is slow. Yes, it’s frustrating. But I keep plugging away, and my goals remain the same, I'm a committed writer. There are just some writers that will reach their goals before I do. I don't write in order. I don’t create an outline of the story before I begin. I have a mental idea of how I want my stories to flow but for the most part I don’t know what’s going to happen when the words leave my head. I love each and everyone of my characters, they guide the story by telling me who they are and where they want to go. They bring out the hiding secrets of their own lives, gossip about their friends, the mistakes they've made, successes in their lives, exes, mistresses and love children. Sometimes I start from the beginning, jump to the middle and then come back to the beginning. I don’t write the entire book, then go back to the beginning to re-write that doesn’t work for me. I edit as I go along and continue to edit until I’m happy with the way the words flow on the page. Writing is a commitment, but it’s different for everyone. Our schedules, our pre-writing rituals, our methods, our processes differ from author to author, writer to writer. This is what makes us as writers unique. We think, we observe, we feel, then we write it down, hoping we will satisfy our loyal readers. So even when I’m not writing, I observe what’s going on around me, everyday. I’m listening to conversations I overhear and even take mental notes on the conversations that people bring to me. I observe how people operate, interactions between and among others and my own reactions to circumstances. I am committed to writing but my writing style and time frames are not like others. Makenzi
Post a Comment